Poem to my mama

If you could see me now


If you could see me now
Folding like you used to
doing the dishes by hand
Like you taught us to
Pairing the socks,
one by one by one.
I practice and train
By losing, I gain

But,
Were you happy, during all those years
That I didn’t see, couldn’t comprehend
You were overcoming your fears,
-and making new friends
Existed for me, but now I’m gone
You missed the fruits of your labor
From the day you made me come,
Until the one I left a bruise so sore.
Now I’m picking up my pieces,
Remembering all those times
That I forgot to drink the tea
Forgot to wash the dishes
Forgot to clear the table
Forgot to say thanks
Forgot to do it all

And it was you with all your patience
You with all your love
You, who walked through fire
You, when life got tough

You, who picked your parts,
You, who fought your battles

You, who gave me life.

Comments

Popular Posts