Bo-hong jee-ah!

You're probably wondering: "What in the world is that title supposed to mean?!". Well, I was wondering that too when I first opened up my proud new acquisition to the page of greetings in Portuguese. And yes, that it the pronunciation of Bon Dia. Two days ago I left for Portugal and yesterday was my first day in this beautiful country. Travelling from Atlanta, through JFK airport (where there were surprisingly few vegan options for what many websites had announced), through Madrid (where there were surprisingly many different parts to the airport (four terminals that weren't interconnected, one needed to take a bus, go out of security etc to get back to a different terminal). But the service was extremely nice at Madrid Airport. I managed to be my usual clumsy self and had to go through security twice because of my full water bottle. Stupid stupid stupid. Poor gentleman that had the dubious honor of re-checking my bags. Air Iberia was a comfortable flight, and it turns out I sleep better when in the middle of three occupied seats than with two unoccupied seats. Guess I just missed my travel-buddy and the big fat gentleman on my right reminded me slightly of him. (JK baby I love you)

Now that I finally got to Portugal my chances were turning. I got a taxi in a relatively short amount of time. The distance to Nena's house from the airport is worth about 7,85 E. Don't ever let them charge you more than 10! Just in case you're gonna visit her within the next 2 weeks. ;-) The taxi driver wasn't chatty, but like a two year old toddler I was asking him all about everything we saw outside. As a good Dutch girl I started with our favorite subject the weather, which happened to be cold for the time of year. He lives just accross the hill, he has been living here for 27 years and experiences Portuguese people to be one of the most peace loving, relaxed people he'd ever seen. According to him, Lisboa is a beautiful city, full of history and culture. We passed a monument that was erected after some war, I'm assuming WW2, since Americans had been involved. I asked him about the nightlife, where there would be good restaurants, the poor guy must've been wondering why all the questions. Well, I only have 3 days to spend here, so I want to make the most of them. Once we reached the Rua (road) of our destination, Nena was already waving out the window. I love how everything is always normal with her, like no time and distance ever makes any difference. We caught up while shopping at the local Chinese, Punjabi and Portuguese convenience stores (where everything is so delightfully cheap).

Comments

Popular Posts