Black Forest Gateau

Tomorrow being my birthday, I'm going to make myself a cake. Because birthday = cake = happy fat me. This particular cake my mother used to make for me (when I still lived at home). Now I've got my own little home, I'll take over that role.

BLACK FOREST GATEAU (or) SCHWARZWALDER KIRSCHTORTE if you want to be proper German. This is with all reference to ms Cintia Stammers who wrote The book of Eggfree Cakes.

200 g flour (1.5 cup)
100 g caster sugar (0.5 cup)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50 g carob/chocolate powder (1/2 cup)
100 ml milk (1/2 cup)
4 tablespoons of condensed milk
60 g melted butter (1/4 cup)
0.5 teaspoon of vanilla essence
50 ml warm water (1/4 cup)

She says that one should :
In a bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and carob powder. Add the milk, condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla and water. Beat with a spoon for two minutes.
Spoon the mixture in the prepared tins, bake for 25 minutes. Check if the center of the cake is dry. If it is not, leave in the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire cooling rack. Let it cool completely before filling and icing.

Now, to make it a black forest gateau, we turn to page 156 in her wonderful book and add 2 quantities of chantilly cream, 1 cup maraschino cherries for decoration and 100 g pieces of chocolate. serve cold :)

I can't wait to finish this cake, and pictures will follow!

Comments

Popular Posts