Veggie Haul #1

Hi y'all,

I honestly love food so much, but I have pretty low standards. Like a boiled potato with some salt and black pepper sounds like a legit mid-night snack for me. My husband would probably try to punch the potato out of my hand and give me something better, but it is what it is. I enjoy cooking though, especially making something out of nothing. That makes me feel like a successful and ballsy queen at life. It allows me to kick ass in two fields, reducing waste and being super lazy in the kitchen. Regarding reducing waste, I'm planning to sign up for CompostNow, it's an organisation that brings composting to the urban areas of Atlanta. All over the world high-rise buildings have issues with either implementing a composting solution, or getting their residents to actually use it. It can smell bad, and when done improperly can get you a ton of tiny fruit-flies. I actually wrote my Master's Thesis on this subject, examining a method to increase people's willingness to compost in their apartment building, but got insignificant results. In Tilburg, it really seemed to depend on the weather. When it's hot, people are less likely to compost than when it's cold and there's no chance of flies or smells.

In regards to WHERE I go, I just buy my veggies from the International Dekalb Farmers Market.

So for this week I wanted to share what we're getting (and hopefully eating) this week. I'm not 100 percent sure yet what I'm gonna make with all of these, but usually I end up making at least one Italian dish (pasta, pizza, lasagna.. anything from Chloe's Vegan Italian Cookbook), one salad, one Indian dish, one Asian dish, and just kind of go with the flow. I got a few different kinds of fruits, and hoping that if I slice them ahead of time that my husband will actually eat them. They're so packed with vitamins.. I really went for the rainbow this week. White cauliflower, yellow lemons and oranges, orange blood oranges and carrots (and apricot juice), red apples, tomatoes and bell peppers, then on the green side, kale, lettuce and spinach, string beans, cilantro, parsley, avocado's, limes, celery, brussel sprouts, aloe vera, zucchini and cucumber, and purple eggplant and plums.




All of this goodness for 64 dollars!
I'm gonna try to do this once a week, and kind of gauge how much veggies and fruits we actually need in a week. Then I'm doing "dry" grocery shopping once a month, and I'll upload a picture of what that looks like as well.

To avoid trash, I used my Sari bags. I make them out of sari's (indian dresses) that are both light-weight and beautifully strong. I used to sell them, but I ran out of sari's. Next time I go to India, I'll be picking up a new batch and start again!

Plastics:
Cauliflower wrap
Tub around chiaseed
Stickers on much of the produce
Tbs of tofu (still looking for a good spot for bulk tofu if anyone has advice)
Elastic bands around the celery and lettuce.


Not all too bad for one week, any advice for how I can improve? Especially around the tofu tubs? I know where to get chia seeds in bulk (SPROUTS AND WF are my hometown for those.)

Love

Comments

  1. What a beautiful rainbow spread you got! YDFM seems to be the best place for the widest selection of good package-free foods, and of course there's recycling in the parking lot.

    I am also curious on tofu. I know Buford Highway Farmer's Market has house made tofu in thin plastic bags, similar to the thickness of the cauliflower wrap. I wonder if that is easier or worse to recycle.

    I heard they used to have totally unpackaged tofu, but I have not seen that. Hopefully there's something in Atlanta somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts