June

When I'm moving to the Netherlands this summer, I'll be taking my essentials with me. I've already made a packing list, and I'm planning to try out a capsule wardrobe, to focus more on my studies and less on what I'm wearing. I want all of my items to be carefully chosen and match with at least two other items to make different outfits.

Continuing zero-waste practice back home.
I've noticed that since coming to the USA, I've adopted a number of habits that may make me different from the way I used to behave back home. A few of the ways I've changed are:

Vegan
Married
No-drugs/alcohol
zero-waste/ sustainable lifestyle

It's obviously going to be a little adjustment, going back home, and not reverting back to old habits of wasting, eating all the cheese etc., but I honestly believe that I'll be better for it. The way plastics have already infiltrated almost every single area in the world, especially the ocean, is heartbreaking. The most immediate and efficient way to mitigate some of the side-effects of the widespread destruction by plastic is by discontinuing the use of plastics in packaging, clothing and grocery bags.

My starting line-up of zero-waste essentials include:
Produce bags (sari-bags I made) replace the flimsy plastic ones
Grocery bag (ALBERT HEIJN, organic cotton) - no need for plastic bags, this one can carry two bags of potatoes and be fine.
STANLEY thermos (got an extra from a friend) - Dear Barista, can I please have my double hot chocolate mochaccino in here? Why yes of course!
S'WELL waterbottle (my sister bought for my birthday) - refill at any and every water station.
Bottle-cleaner - to keep my water bottle and thermos squeaky clean.
IKEA glass container (small) (5 dollars) for easy on the go lunches. Also, take-out, meal prep and it helps prevent overeating.
Napkin (Hema, 2 euro) - always a face and hands.
Tea egg (second hand, Meimarkt) - for the cold winter days hot tea (Stanley keeps it hot for over 8 hours)

These make it so easy to avoid all kinds of plastics and waste in general. And, if you've read the descriptions of how I got most of these things, they don't need to be expensive. If you don't have the money to purchase any of these items, you could probably repurpose things like: glass jars, old sheets, pillowcases, lunchboxes from back in the day, strainers and they would function just as well. (for glass jars and hot liquids I recommend either knitting or repurposing a sock, hair ties for a cozy to protect your hands. Here's a picture of my most recent shopping trip to Sprouts, and the way that my produce bags totally saved my ass.
Next month (July) I'll write about the items in my capsule wardrobe and prepare for the big move.

Comments

Popular Posts