May

Heya,

The past weekend has been quite amazing. I got to reconnect with one of my dear friends whom I hadn't seen in almost 2 years. She'd moved around Atlanta and we've both been super busy, but you know you're real friends when it doesn't feel different even though you don't see each other much. We made plans for a long bike trip from Atlanta to the Alabama border. As part of our little girldate, we went to an art market.

The art market featured local artists, mostly jewelers, painters, sculptors, soap and candle makers. The Didgeridoo people were super friendly and let us try a variety of instruments. They said that the indigenous people wanted to keep the art of didgeridoo to themselves by pretending it's really hard, (personally, I didn't really believe that to be true, but I'd totally understand since most indigenous people already had to suffer through so many injustices, I'd also want to keep a small part of my identity and culture to myself) but according to her all you needed to know was: Lips, tongue, and voice. Breezing like a horse, but gently gives you that typical didgeridoo sound, while the tongue when pressing against the back of the teeth, breaks it up. Using your voice during all this is a sort of cheating way to make beautiful music. They were supposed to be on stage later that day, but we had other things on the agenda. One of the soap artists sold shampoo bars, which was super convenient as mine had just run out that week. They had a special going on: 3 items for 12 dollars. Considering the size of the shampoo bars and the organic ingredients this was a steal! I purchased 2 shampoo bars (I'm expecting them to last me almost a year each) and a shaving soap bar.

The artist's wife and kids were at the stall as well. I love shopping local because your money goes to an actual person, who puts in their hard work to realize their ideal. This is their website. Normally the shampoo bars are 6 dollars, but at the market they were on sale. I'm going to try both the tea tree and the nettle bar. The tea tree is specifically good against dandruff, and my dry scalp could use some strong lovin'. I'll add some pictures below of the bars I bought and how I keep them in my shower.

I keep it on a little teacup plate on the edge of the bathtub. 
So far it's been working really well, my hair feels clean. One very important tip though, is that you can't skip the vinegar rinse. I tried skipping it a few times (mostly because my vinegar appeared to be in the kitchen) and my hair felt very knotty and sticky. The vinegar rinses that right out (and the smell of the vinegar leaves within no-time).



Comments

Popular Posts